Hits

Friday, November 14, 2008

A New Era of Hunting


Whew, got home just in time. My cell battery was just about gone. I would like to tell you all about my day of duck hunting, without getting wet, without getting cold and without coming home with ringing "pit" ears. Cell phone rang at 830Am with update. Cell phone rang at 9AM with update. Cell phone rang at 930AM with update. Cell phone rang at 10AM with update. 1030AM hadn't heard update and called, finally just what I was waiting for. The man on the other end made my day. He hit the little green button and put the phone down. I immediately switched from handheld to speaker and listened to the sounds. I did it, I wore the guys out just at the right time, a live group of birds working, the sounds of goose calls blowing out the speaker on my cell phone, and the grand finale, "TAKE EM", the sounds I had been longing for all morning. You see, I woke up at 6AM and heard the wind a blowin' I looked at the weather and decided "heck, I've hunted enough already, I'll just go to work". Ha! I had no choice but to go to work, taking off two weekends in a row with "duck fever" just doesn't bode well with the bosses. So the Ditch was empty. The action just described was from our good friends at the South Ditch. Their take for the day was 10 ducks and 1 giant Canada goose. The South Ditch reported action pretty much all morning. Don't know if they really know my craziness, or if they just wanted to rub it in, either way it was great. For those of you who know what I'm talking about, which I would guess would be the greater majority of those who read this blog, the live, working bird phone call you get from the ditch, when you're not there, is the next best thing to being there. Thanks to "SR" and the South Ditch for all the updates and hitting the little green button just in time. The sounds are the next best thing to live action. Migration pace along the Missouri River is above recent averages right now, hopefully it will keep coming at this steady pace. We've been missing this pace the last few years and if this keeps up we should have a great season. Update tomorrow, be sure to check in.

No comments:

Post a Comment