Hits

Friday, November 7, 2008

Good Breakfast - Should've Stayed

Anticipating a push of birds along with a long, long day we stopped in at the local Pump N Munch and gathered up some necessities in order to hang all day. We ran into the boys that hunt just South of the Ditch (from here on out named: G Ditch) and they were going to be full today. The NW Ditch looked full when we drove by their shed and I'm certain the Legends Ditch was as well. So here we are, all of the locals full as a tick...just one problem, NO BIRDS. Well I shouldn't say NO, but I can say few for the conditions. The NW Ditch shot 3 times, the guys to the South twice, and us just once. A truly disappointing day. Looks like I need to switch doctors. The South Ditch had just two hunters this AM, and saw just one duck last I spoke with them. They haven't called so assuming they've vacated their Ditch as well. Maybe tomorrow will be the day, who knows? Maybe the wind was blowing too much, maybe our four locations just weren't good today. The telling point will be the Legends Ditch. If they post a good hunt, then it just wasn't meant to be today for us and a few others. Tomorrow is a different day, and with that comes different hope. But we need to remember it's only the 1st week of November. If anything happens today around the area we will be sure to post. Check back for updates. UPDATE: 740PM FRIDAY NIGHT. They're here! Reports from all over the area, ducks, snows, and can's all here. I received a call about 230PM saying that the birds we're starting to come. We chose to stay home, only to be disappointed in our lack of faith in Mother Nature. The Legends Ditch had late in the day success. So it appears that good things come to those who wait. I knew, I just knew it. With the wind blowing like it was and the snowfalls to the North, there was no way they weren't going to make it today, we shouldn't have given up hope. A one man crew, DukMaster, from the South Ditch managed 3 widgeon out of a bunch of four, a triple. I guess I gotta believe him, I wasn't there. But, there's a downside! Apparently he called 15 Can's down with their feet out shortly after that, 3 shots and nothing, now who's the Not-So-Sure-Shot? Can't give 'em to much heck, he did get a triple. Well, the morning may be one of those days where you just don't come up for air. The trip is scheduled to end fairly early for me, but I may see what I can work out. Someone will be there all day! Don't forget to check back in tomorrow. Aim straight!

No comments:

Post a Comment