Hits

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Two Day Mixed Bag

Wednesday - AM walkdown kicked off whitefronts by the dozens. Plenty of new ducks in the area, mainly Gadwall. Non-stop action until about 930AM. Managed 6 ducks. There should have only been 5 but I guess a shoveler came by at the wrong time and found the pattermaster. The morning action warranted a 1/2 day off of work, only to yield a big fat ZERO. No decoying birds in the afternoon and into dusk. Nonetheless still a repectable day.

Thursday - Got a bit of a late start, arrived in the ditch about 815 and kicked off just a few ducks. After the Wednesday walkdown and North wind all day, I was hoping for a "reserve" on the walk in. Who knows, had I been there earlier, I may have seen that. Shortly after settling in 4 teal gave a buzz and I scrached just one. My focus was a bit off as I was really hoping for some of the Wednesday ducks. After fetching up the teal I had a group of bluebills come from the South, luckily I was ready and I knocked down one, alive as can be in the NW corner of the lake. I made the trek and found him nesstled in the weeds. Good thing my "sniffer" was working. Folowing the bills there were tons of ducks floating around the area, but no committments. We had no wind, the clouds had moved on and I left the Robo Duck in the trailer. I went out and messed around with the decoys, returning to the blind just in time for a huge group of Widgeon. They worked extremely hard over the spread not sure just where to go. 4 dropped out and came hard, no doubt due to the sweet music coming from my Folies Dead Meat Mallard, and just one ended up in the pond. Shooting was a bit off today but still managed 3 ducks. Again no Canada Geese, and yesterdays Whitefronts had apparently moved elsewhere. I gave it 'til 1PM and called it quits for the day. Next hunt will likely be Sunday AM with the whole gang, should be able to have a least two hours of non-stop ducks.

No comments:

Post a Comment