Hits

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Long Day

Woke up at 5AM, looked outside and saw snow and huge North Winds. Couldn't wait to get to the Ditch. Spent about an hour breaking ice and setting deeks. We settled in at 711AM and loaded up. No reason to do that. We sat, and sat, and sat, and sat. I couldn't believe my eyes, there was nothing, and I mean NOTHING FLYING! I can't believe I wasted a day off for this. One thing I guess I should always remember is that a bad day hunting is better than a good day at work. Can't really figure it out, we had a bit of weather North and it just didn't push the birds down. After talking with DukMaster we came to realize that all that's left to the North is Northern Mallards and Can's, and it will take 5-6 inches of snow to cover up their food and unless that happens, they ain't movin'. Also, after talking with Waterfowl Wizard, I realized it was time to get out of dodge for now. We took every decoy that doesn't float out of the Ditch today and threw them in the Mobile Destroyer. We're hoping to catch a few fields between now and the 5 or 6 inch snow that may or may not come to South Dakota. Lets face it, by the time the final push happens all we'll need is a small hole and a shotgun. Not real sure where tomorrow's action, or lack there of, is going to come from. Three options are on the table and I'll know what I'm doing when I wake up. I can go to the Ditch, I can go to the South Ditch, or I can drive around where the ducks are and try my luck with the land-owners. Scouting is the "leaner" right now as we'll have a full staff Sunday that hasn't emptied their guns for quite some time and it'd be nice to set up for a sure thing. That's all for now. Check back for the latest and greatest, and thanks for all the hits.

No comments:

Post a Comment